Recently the Northern York County Regional Police arrested a 19 year old man who was driving a vehicle equipped with flashing lights and a siren for impersonating a police officer. This man had stopped a vehicle using this imposter vehicle. If a person driving an unmarked vehicle is signalling you to stop and you are not sure it is a legitimate police officer, please do the following
- Slow down and turn on your four-way flashers
- Drive to a well lit, populated area or a police station
- Do not exit your vehicle — lower your window slightly and ask to see identification
- If you are still concerned and you have a cell phone, call 911 and verify that you have been stopped by a legitimate police officer or ask 911 to dispatch a uniformed officer in a marked patrol car.
- Once you are satisfied that the officer is legitimate, cooperate with his or her instructions.
If the subject that stops you appears extremely nervous or suddenly leaves, get a good description of the person, the vehicle, and the license plate number if possible.